The winners are:
Schyler Sheltrown, First Place, College Division (pictured in header)
- Schyler Sheltrown: First Place, Genevieve W. Connable Prize, Michigan StateUniversity
- Dorea Britton: Second Place, Indiana University – South Bend
- Christopher Zavac: Third Place, Eastern MichiganUniversity
- Bridget Cappel: Honorable Mention, Western MichiganUniversity
- Addy Sterrett: Honorable Mention, Michigan StateUniversity
High School Division:
- Samuel Kidd: First Place, Ann Arbor Pioneer High School (Michigan)
- Sara Neal: Second Place, John AdamsHigh School (South Bend, Indiana)
- Tiffany Melvin: Third Place, Mattawan High School (Michigan)
Winners to perform on April 12, 3 pm, Kalamazoo College Light Fine Arts Center
The most promising college and high school singers from the Midwest competed at the annual Kalamazoo Bach Festival Young Vocalists Competition last Saturday, March 15, at KalamazooCollege. Eight of the competitors will be showcased in the Young Vocalists Concert on April 12, 3 pm, at KalamazooCollegeLightFineArtsCenter. The purpose of the competition and concert is to encourage the study and performance of vocal music.
Judges for the competition were Maestro Raymond Harvey, conductor of the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra, and Charsie Sawyer, Professor of Music at CalvinCollege.
Entrants in the College Division were required to sing one 20th or 21st Century art song by an American, British, or Canadian composer sung in English, one foreign language art song sung in the original language and an appropriate aria from opera, oratorio, or musical theatre. Entrants in the High School Division sang one 20th or 21st Century art song by an American, British, or Canadian composer sung in English, and one foreign language art song sung in the original language.
Schyler Sheltrown, First Place winner in the College Division, will perform “Je suis encore” from Manon by Jules Massenet, and “Hat dich die Liebe berührt” by Joseph Marx.
There were 36 competitors from the Midwest. Colleges represented were Alma College, CentralMichiganUniversity, Eastern MichiganUniversity, Grand Rapids Community College, Indiana University – South Bend, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne, Michigan State University, Western MichiganUniversity, and University of Michigan School of Music.
This year’s high school competitors traveled from Michigan and Indiana. These students were from Ann Arbor PioneerHigh School, JacksonHigh School, JohnAdamsHigh School in South Bend, Indiana, KalamazooCentralHigh School, and MattawanHigh School.
The winners are:
- Schyler Sheltrown, soprano: First Place, Genevieve W. Connable Prize, a senior studying with Melanie Helton at Michigan State University, from Mattawan, Michigan
- Dorea Britton, soprano: Second Place, a junior studying with Deborah Mayer at IndianaUniversity – South Bend, from Niles, Michigan.
- Christopher Zavac, baritone: Third Place, a senior studying with Dr. Robert Peavler at EasternMichiganUniversity, from Toledo, Ohio.
- Bridget Cappel, soprano: Honorable Mention, a junior studying with Dr. Karen Kness at Western Michigan University, from Sterling Heights, Michigan.
- Addy Sterrett, soprano: Honorable Mention, a sophomore studying with Melanie Helton, at MichiganStateUniversity, from Grawn, Michigan.
High School Division:
- Samuel Kidd, baritone: First Place, a senior at Ann Arbor Pioneer High School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, studying with Monica Bebow of Eastern Michigan University.
- Sara Neal, soprano: Second Place, a junior at JohnAdamsHigh School, South Bend, Indiana, studying with Deborah Mayer of IndianaUniversity – South Bend.
- Tiffany Melvin, soprano: Third Place, a sophomore from Paw Paw, Michigan, studying with David Hook at MattawanHigh School.
These winning vocalists will be showcased in a free recital on Saturday, April 12, at 3 p.m., in the Light Fine Arts Building, KalamazooCollege. They will receive their cash prizes at the recital and a reception to meet the vocalists will follow.